60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye
|60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye|
|Author||John David California|
|September 15, 2009|
|Contains||A sequel to Catcher in the Rye|
- Attention: If you know more about this book, please contact me and I will expand this entry.
Fredrik Colting, publishing under the pseudonym, John David California, plans to publish this sequel to Catcher in the Rye in 2009. It features the story of a "Mr. C" (presumably Holden Caulfield) who departs his nursing home for a journey around the streets of New York City.
The book's publication date is listed as September 15, 2009, and the book is listed at Amazon.com.
J. D. Salinger's agents filed a lawsuit in June, 2009 to prevent the book's publication, with Salinger quoted as calling the book a "ripoff."
The Associated Press reports:
- NEW YORK (AP) - A U.S. judge says she's troubled by substantial similarities between J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher In The Rye" and a new book by a Swedish author.
- Federal Judge Deborah Batts commented during a Manhattan hearing Wednesday. Salinger's lawyer asked her to block publication of a novel called "60 Years Later" by Fredrik Colting. He writes under the name John David California...
- ... Batts must decide whether the new book provides sufficient commentary or criticism. If so, that could be fair use of a copyrighted work.
- But the judge said she was having trouble seeing criticism in the book.
On July 1, 2009, it was revealed that the judge had ruled against publication in the United States, although it has been published in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.
- (September 15, 2009) 60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye. Nicotext. ASIN 9185869546.
- District Court Bans 'Catcher In The Rye' Sequel; Since When Did The US Ban Books?TechDirt.
- Ruling for Salinger, Judge Bans ‘Rye’ SequelNew York Times.