|Original publication source||Cosmopolitan|
|Original publication date||September, 1948|
|Just Before the War with the Eskimos||The Laughing Man|
Originally to be titled Scratchy Needle on a Phonograph Record. A Jazz story fitted into World War II by way of a flashback. It mentions the Varioni Brothers in passing.
- Lida Louise passed over it. She was looking at Peggy. "You and him sweeties?" she asked her.
- Rudford said quickly, "No."
- "Yes," said Peggy.
- "Why you like this little ole boy like you do?" Lida Louise asked Peggy.
- "I don't know," Peggy said. "I like the way he stands at the blackboard."
- (September 1948) Blue Melody. Cosmopolitan: 50-51, 112-119.
- Reprinted in: